Wednesday, 10 February 2010

An Education in Circles

In a dust clean classroom in old grey London, a young shoeshine boy and an old beggar sit behind english desks. The old beggar sits behind the boy in an adjacent row, his prominent beard looking like a mane of ruffled pigeon feather.

Eyes unblinking and vision riveted at the hand-drawn circle on the blackboard, the boy asks, "what do you think about circles, sir?"

"I think they are Round.", comes the matter-of-fact reply.

"I think (pause) that if one kept walking along one, one would keep ending up at the same place, again and again."

"And (pause) if you kept taking a step inwards everytime you finished a circle, and then walked around another circle, you Could, at some distant point in time drop off into that dot at the center of the circle."

"Or (longer pause) , you could just walk off a tangent on your own merry walk."


Long Pause.
Narrator to the audience: Now guess which one of them said the third and the fourth and the fifth dialogue.

p.s.: I am not serious!

4 comments:

Liar Goodspeed said...

Interesting.
But answering the question at the end would require you to state the set of people to choose from....

Suchreet said...

i understood this post.
or i think i did.
on reading the third time.

D said...

@Rodi: Isnt there a set already?
ps: I like abstract posts, you can make whatever you like out of them..

Divya said...

i think it would be hypocritical if the same person said all three...