I sit by the window in my first floor apartment on a sunny winter day. Sunshine streams in, spreads itself around the room and makes its presence felt like honey does when spread on bread. A red motorbike rests robustly on my window-side table. As a toy airplane whizzes past above, circling around while being held back by a string that reaches out from the floor, I look at my cup of milk. 'Checkered tablecloths are good for the world.'- it says on my cup.
Why don't you take the seat opposite me? Come, sit down. I'll pour you some milk too. What's more, I'll even let you choose between a cup that says 'Look at you, you look lemon fresh. And you smell nice too.' and one that says 'Girls in their summer clothes'.
By the way, Imagine's playing in the background. And I'll tell you what, we should look cool for this conversation. Here, put these on- aviator sunglasses. And we'll put these biking jackets on too.
Yes, so, now that we're ready, I'd like to ask you- what will you tell your kid? Don't stare. And drink up. Milk- it has lots of good things like calcium and proteins. May not be as good as chemical x, but it's still good for you. So, where was I? Yes, what will you tell your kid? Will you teach them not to commit the same mistakes as you? Or will you tell them which mistakes to make? Will you want them to be like you? Or will you want them to have no likeness with you? Will you like them to grow wings? Or will you like them to stay grounded? Will you tell them what's really important in life? Or will you let them decide for themselves?
I, for one, will like to drive my kid on a motor bike to some remote place high up in the mountains. Once by the high mountain lake nobody knows about, we'll sit and stare till kingdom fall or darkness falls, whichever. I'll tell my kid there's joy in doing nothing. That's certainly an important life lesson.
So, what about you?
4 comments:
I'll save my comments ;)
You know, in the book 'Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' this is exactly what the protagonist and his kid do :)
Il bel far niente..I could do with learning that lesson :)
hey hey hey so not fair to see no new update wen i finally get to access the net after 50 days!! :0
Post a Comment