Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Commencement Address

Being on a lower pedestal than you, both in terms of age and education, it seems odd that I am delivering this address. I just hope that the weight of the occasion and responsibility doesn't weigh down my words.

A Commencement Address is typically given to mark the beginning of a student's venture into the 'real' world, into a career outside of the hallowed confines of her alma mater. It is given typically to mark graduation. Keeping in line with my usual disregard, sometimes subtle,sometimes complete, of the usually accepted lines, the usually
accepted manner of doing things, I am delivering this Commencement Address to mark the beginning instead, of your Masters Education.

I do not quite know, whether I will be able to inspire you or give you any valuable advice through this address, or if I will be profound enough to the standards of successful Commencement Addresses, but I assure you I'll make a wholehearted and honest attempt.

Through this address, I do not intend to and neither can I, give you a comprehensive guide for the next 2 years of your life. What I will do however, is give you 3 words that I hope you find valuable and come back to, again and again, not only for the next 2 years, but the rest of your, I am sure, illustrious life. Let these 3 words be your 3
lighthouses, showing you the path, in this oft confusing maze of life, in times not only of rough seas, but also calm seas, when complacent captains prove to be the downfall of their ship and crew.

The first one of these words is 'Truth'. An unfaltering commitment to the truth will always hold you in good stead, in work and in life. Jack Welch, the man at the helm of and considered responsible for the rise of, one of the largest and most diverse corporations in the world- GE, once said "99% of the managers who fail, fail because they
refuse to accept the truth, even when it is standing right in front of them, staring them in the eyes."
In all your endeavors, I hope you bring an unrelenting commitment to
the truth not only with regard to a scientific endeavor or your own progress at your work, which are very important but also with regard to your ability and what you can achieve. Let not false beliefs misle you into thinking that you are not capable of anything. Be fearless
and be committed to the truth, and you already have the necessary ingredients for success.

The second one of these words is 'Excellence' and is also, one of my favorite words. As you stand here, at base camp, looking ahead at the sure to be roller-coaster climb ahead, keep your eyes firmly fixed at the summit. The goal is and ought to be, Excellence, always. And you must strive, not for 'just' Excellence, but for 'Astonish Me'
Excellence, for 'Red Exclamation Mark' Excellence.

Last and possibly most important, is 'People'. Learn this lesson early in your life- work and career and success have their place but an even more distinguished place is occupied by 'valuing people'. Value the people in your life- those left behind, those in the present and those to come, and surely you will find the rewards of this journey more
fulfilling. Value people also at work- for if nothing else, it is critical to achieving success and contentment, and maintaining that position of success.
Value people and value also, Love. It is one of the good things about this world- Love.

And now, as I near the end of this address, I hope that it achieves what it set out as its objectives. You are unique and I wish you the exact unique brand of success that you desire. I wish you all the best of luck in all your endeavors but above all, and this probably didn't figure in my address as an obvious theme, I wish you
Happyness.
Thank you.

5 comments:

Suchreet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liar Goodspeed said...

true-blue believer. salut.

Liar Goodspeed said...

every word worth its salt.
accha hai na such?

Suchreet said...

its superlative acha.

Suchreet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.