Saturday, 5 June 2010



Here's a movie you Ought to watch. I say, What story telling, Wonderful craftsmanship. Made in 1957, its about 12 men, 12 jurists, debating the fate of a young man being tried for the murder of his father.
For a long time now, I had been thinking about writing a story contained within a conversation between two, three, four, or more characters within a single room. I never got around to it, but here's a movie almost all of which is a conversation, rather a debate between 12 characters in a single room. Its an exploration of sociology, psychology, prejudice, and more. And, its brilliant.
If none of this convinces you to find and watch a B&W 1957 Sidney Lumet masterpiece, maybe the 8.9/10 rating and the all time rank 7 on imdb will.

4 comments:

Suchreet said...

tune n mayank ne ek saath dekhi kya?

Liar Goodspeed said...

Plan to see it first thing tomorrow night if I give a good PPT.
Otherwise it's me, a lot of food and a bottle of White Wine to drown the pain. Oh, and packing too, in either case.

(Pray for me!)

mayank said...

The 12 characters are 12 emotions. Henry Fonda is reason.

Watch the movie, those who haven't. Don't overexpect, and you won't be disappointed.

Liar Goodspeed said...

Just saw it.
It's a good movie. Just a tad bit more theatrical than necessary, and does away with the guilty people too fast...

(Also one should have gotten to see the testimony of the old man and the woman, but I guess that would have turned the movie into a murder mystery when the whole point was the discussion between the 12 men of the jury.)